School Governors, as members of the Governing Body, are responsible for the strategic development and direction of a school. An effective Governing body is a ‘critical friend’ and works closely in a supportive way with the Headteacher and school staff, whilst at the same time ensuring that an appropriate level of challenge is maintained.
The Governing Body sets the strategic direction of the school, sets out school policies which are implemented by the Headteacher and staff and oversees the management of the school budget.
The Governing Body is responsible for setting targets for pupil achievements at specific key stages, and monitors the progress of the school in meeting these targets.
Governors fall into a number of categories:
- Parent Governors, who are parents of children in school, and who are elected by the current parents
- Teacher/Staff Governors, members of staff, elected by the teaching and support staff
- LA Governors, appointed by the Local Authority (LA)
- Community Governors, members of the local community, appointed by the Governing Body
- Associate Governors, appointed by the Governing Body, but with limited voting rights
- Headteacher – the Headteacher is normally a member of the Governing Body, and reports to the Governing Body about the school’s activities and performance.
Glasllwch’s Governing Body currently consists of:
|Name||Post||Category||Appointed by||Expiry of Term|
|Mrs Kimberly Anthony||Chair||Parent||Parental vote||2021|
|Mr Stephen Morris||Community||Invitation||2021|
|Mrs Hannah Hamnett||Parent||Parental vote||2020|
|Mr Thomas Moore||Vice Chair||Parent||Parental vote||2023|
|Mrs Beth Pell||Parent||Parental vote||2023|
|Mr Simon Morrish||Outgoing Chair||Community||Invitation||2019|
|Prof James Birchall||Community||Invitation||2021|
|Miss Ruth Cornelius||Teacher||Staff vote||2019|
|Mr Sean Cullen||Staff||Staff vote||2019|
|Cllr Matthew Evans||Local Authority||Local Authority||2020|
|Mrs Gill Hyland||Local Authority||Local Authority||2023|
|Mrs Chris Jackson||Head teacher||Head teacher||Regulations||N/A|
|Mrs Jenny Munslow||Deputy Head teacher||Associate Governor||N/A||N/A|
Our Welsh word of the week
Pwy sy'n gwybod?